Race Review: Gatorade's 11.22 Run 2016

Gatorade has always been a well-known leading brand when it comes to sports-themed beverages. It is a good hydration drink for those of us who regularly exercise and discharge a lot of energy because strenuous activities may lead to dehydration. Drinking Gatorade counters that condition to keep us constantly on the go.

photo op after the race
Last year, my mom and dad joined the #GatoradeRun1122 which was held on November 22, 2015. Given the date, the race aptly offered 11k and 22k distances for runners. This year, Gatorade repeated the categories but scheduled the race on November 27 to make it a Sunday.

My family and I prepared to arrive at the race village at 3AM but had difficulty finding a parking space given the thousands of runners who also arrived in their own vehicles. Dad had to literally rush to the starting line with just a couple of minutes to spare so he can make it to the 22k gun start at 4AM. 

crossing the bridge near MOA
Fortunately, my mom and I were able to have more time to change into our running shirts and put on our bibs and timing chips for the 11k gun start happening in less than an hour. She used her XS singlet but I chose not to use mine because the size M was too large for me. It's a good thing I brought mom's size S Gatorade Run Finisher's Shirt from last year, which fits me a lot better.

I found running 11 kilometers more difficult though even if there's just one kilometer increase in distance compared to our usual 10k runs. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I don’t enjoy running barefoot when runs are held at the Mall of Asia grounds because there are certain roads that are quite painful on the soles. Like before, the rough roads were taxing to my feet and certainly hindered my pace.

thanks for the encouragement fellow Tamaraws!
But, as I pushed myself through the last couple of kilometers towards the finish line, it was heartening to see runners being motivated by the cheering and drum squads of various universities, including that of my own school.

Sports personalities from various colleges and universities, who are all Gatorade ambassadors, likewise graced the event. One particularly famous varsity volleyball player drew peoples' attention. Jaja Santiago of National University was easy to spot amidst the dense crowd thanks to her insane height of 6 feet 2 inches! Another celebrity worth mentioning was none other than Coach Rio Dela Cruz himself, whom I had the pleasure to meet and have a photo taken with. 

with Coach Rio
Overall, the Gatorade Run was a pleasant one although I was really frustrated how mixed up the registration process and distribution of singlet sizes were. I would have loved to wear the Adidas singlet (and its matching Finisher's Shirt, also a size M) if I was able to get the right size. Hopefully, the organizers could address these issues better so that participants would have it easier and more hassle-free next time. Still, here's looking forward to Gatorade Run 2017!


Race Review: Gatorade's 11.22 Run 2016 Race Review: Gatorade's 11.22 Run 2016 Reviewed by Unknown on 5:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.