How Effective is the DSWD Under the New Administration?

The Philippine government has always been perceived to keep a consistent track record of wasting taxpayers' money. It is not surprising then that a lot of Filipinos look at various branches of the government as riddled with corruption.

However, according to my parents, there are still hardworking government offices and officials who genuinely care about making a difference, especially in the lives of the poor. They may be just a few, but they exist! I've seen that for myself when I joined an organic agriculture farm tour last year in Mindanao and met employees of the Agricultural Training Institute. They have been helping farmers all over the country to maximize yields through good farming practices which, in turn, benefits the public with healthy and pesticide-free produce.

photo credit: www.eaglenews.ph
Earlier this month, I was invited by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Region IV-A to join a two-day trip to Quezon Province where attendees can personally see how poor communities benefit from various DSWD initiatives, including the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps). I was told they're hoping to reach a younger audience through my blog and I am grateful that they considered me.

Honestly though, I initially only have a vague idea about what the 4Ps is all about. My mom told me to read her blog post about it since she was able to join a DSWD trip in 2015. So far, I am glad to find out that most of the funds going through the 4Ps actually reach most of their target families. But, that was more than a couple of years ago and under the Aquino administration.

photo credit: media.philstar.com
Since a new president was elected last year and with DSWD being under the current administration, I couldn't help but wonder if things have changed and what those changes are. Now, I want to see for myself if our marginalized kababayans in far away provinces continue to benefit from the various DSWD programs and if their needs are still being met. I'll tell you about it after our trip this coming week.


How Effective is the DSWD Under the New Administration? How Effective is the DSWD Under the New Administration? Reviewed by Unknown on 12:00 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.